This course for people working in matrix teams will:
- Highlight the skills needed to successfully navigate a matrix environment.
- Offer ideas for clarifying roles and responsibilities regardless of role.
- Suggest communication tactics for keeping managers and teams informed about priorities, workload, and other information.
- Provide recommendations for self-advocacy.
This two-hour course turns the concept of a matrix structure from complex to comprehensible. Taught in a laid-back, conversation-like manner, the session will help participants to identify their strengths and preferences and to clarify roles and responsibilities within the team. The program also provides tools for self-advocacy and navigates them through the sometimes tricky world of communicating with multiple teams and multiple bosses.
At this program’s conclusion, participants should be able to:
- Explain the benefits and challenges of working in a matrix environment.
- Inventory skills, likes, dislikes, and development opportunities.
- Discuss best practices for clarifying roles, responsibilities, and priorities.
- Develop a communication plan to manage up when interacting with direct-line and dotted-line managers.
- Meeting the Matrix: Exploring Pluses and Minuses
- I Know What I Like: Taking an Inventory
- Shared Understanding: Clarifying Roles, Responsibilities and Expectations
- In the Loop: Informing Others
- Speak Up: Advocating for Yourself
Armed with this information, by the end of this program participants should be positioned to thrive and not just survive in a matrix organization.