Cross-Cultural Communication Skills Training
Communicating Across Cultures: Working Together in a Global Marketplace
This cross-cultural course will:
- Provide a forum for frank discussions about culture and its impact on workplace communication.
- Give an academic overview of cross-cultural fundamentals.
- Suggest tools for communicating better in person and in writing.
- Recommend tactics for conflict management and cross-cultural negotiation.
It should come as no surprise that the face of business has evolved significantly in recent years thanks to demographic changes, advances in technology, better transportation, and shifts in political policies throughout the world. As a result of those changes, it is not unusual to find businesses with a multitude of teams made up of members from different cultures. This onsite training workshop addresses not only cultural awareness, but it offers tactics for surfacing conflict and improving communication. The program explores the benefits and challenges that come about from having a multicultural workforce, the communication issues that often arise in diverse groups, and methods for handling conflict.
At this program’s conclusion, participants should be able to:
- Explain the business advantages of having a multicultural workforce.
- Identify and explain the four basic behavioral styles and the benefits and challenges of each.
- Describe Geert Hofstede’s four cultural dimensions and their impact on communication.
- Explain how time is viewed differently throughout the world and how to communicate expectations to those with a different outlook.
- Describe a model of feedback, communication, and listening.
- Explain the importance of body language in the listening process.
- Demonstrate techniques for better listening when communicating with challenging speakers.
- Develop an action plan to improve communication skills.
The following outline highlights some of the course’s key learning points. As part of your training program, we will modify content as needed to meet your business objectives. Upon request, we will provide you with a copy of the participant materials prior to the session(s).
Dollars and Sense: Profiting from Cultural Differences
Cross-Cultural Fundamentals: Understanding Cultures
Listen Up!: A Better Means of Communication
Yes? No? Maybe So: Reading Nonverbal Cues
Put It In Writing: Emailing Across Cultures
Worlds Apart: Agreeing to Disagree
Sticking Together: What We Can Do Better
- Full-Day Training Course
Onsite Training Course Reminders
Our instructor-led training courses are available to private groups. These workshops are not offered in a public seminar format. Please contact us to speak with a facilitator about your needs and bringing training to your organization.
We offer training in the following US states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
We also travel to Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Canada, Central America, Continental Europe, the Middle East, and the United Kingdom.
Please contact us about your location.