This online course examines how to be a successful (that is, effective) leader. Based on D. Quinn Mills’ book, Leadership: How to Lead, How to Live, a text used at Harvard Business School, the program asks the crucial questions about leadership in today’s organizations: What is leadership and why is it important? What does effective leadership require? What is visionary leadership? What is the role of charisma? What is the difference between managing, administering, and leading?
After completing this course, learners should be able to:
- Define leadership and explain its importance.
- Discuss some of the better-known leadership theories (Fiedler’s contingency theory; Path-goal theory; Vroom-Yetton-Jago theory).
- Distinguish leadership from management and administration.
- Explain the role of ethics in leadership.
- Discuss the positives and negatives surrounding charismatic leadership.
- Recognize the importance of training, learning, and role playing in leadership.
- Discuss the seven bases for leadership.
- Explain why formal authority alone does not guarantee leadership.
- Discuss the nine key qualities of leadership.
- Identify the five central skills needed for effective leadership and explain ways to strengthen or develop those skills in a leader.
This course is designed for those people wishing to improve their understanding of leadership.
Estimated Hours to Complete
Pricing and Enrollment Information
$79.00 (US) per seat